Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Thanks for the input's!

Hi All
Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts, this was helpful.

The reason for my asking is that once in a while I get a driver sample that yells out "do this" and I have one of those on my desk now.

Everything we do at work is aimed at large scale hifi sound however my first love is hifi and at work I have found a couple drivers that allow one to make a synergy horn with a single coax driver (a compression driver is at the rear of the cone driver) like the sbh and sm-60 type cabinets use this approach.

The driver sample I have now seems unusually well suited to this, especially with a more exponential style horn. At least in the computer, it seems like an ideal driver to make a more or less full range horn with it. The computer model shows that the low corner could be pushed down pretty low but the size is the issue, the only "cost" is a lower efficiency of about 108 if extended down to 140Hz in a larger horn.
With a cutoff around 250 and a shorter horn, the sensitivity is around 110 1w 1m at the low corner and the impedance appears to show about a 50% efficiency below 1K.

I am going to make a horn to try this out in the next month as an unofficial project for my own curiosity and see if there are any sonic warts in the real item as opposed to the computer model.
I will post again here if it looks / sounds good.
Best,
Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.