Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: How large is too large for HE?

Hi Tom,

I have been working with a co-entrant horn, the PSE-144. I'm very sure you are aware of it. Please don't be mad at me. I deposited money at the initial group buy when it was just a Lambda style flat pack. I use them with SET amps, so please indulge me. I know I can't teach you anything, so consider the following feedback from an end user.

First your question. No 36" is not to wide, nor is 36" deep. Four feet long is too long.

The following is what I have been wrestling with. I crossover at 350hz and 1250hz.

EQ. I read that it is a trait of Synergy style horns to not be very linear. It is true in my case. With SET amps you can't bump up the trough. You can only knock down the peaks, which is recommended by most even if not using a SET amp. My horns can be EQ'ed pretty flat at 102db efficiency, but there is still a pretty wide two db dip at 850hz.

From audiophile view; A lot of guys are serious about their front end. Let's say they are running digital, and are using DSD or hi-rez PCM, or R2R ladder dacs. You think they want to run their expensive signal through some prosumer DSP crossover? Maybe it will do 24/96? Maybe your expensive dac will be run through the cheapest delta sigma chip that can be had? I find the MiniDSP an excellent developmental tool. It sounds good, but crazy audiophile that I am I know what better sounds like.

If you are willing to go all digital, then doing the EQ and room correction in the computer, before it gets to your dac is a great solution. Then split the signal with an analog active xo. However your vinyl rig would be outside the EQ loop, unless you run it into an ADC to your computer. Doubt that.

You could use an analog active crossover with an analog graphic equalizer. One of the cool things about MiniDSP is that it will translate your final PEQ settings into a 31 band graphic equalizer's settings. This is where I'm at right now. It was a super PITA, but it sounds good, and I can use SET amps.

Red Spade has not delivered the two way passive crossover they are working on. I have used an active xo splitting bass/mid and passive xo splitting mid/high before, and liked it a lot. It may work here. Problem I see early on is they say it knocks efficiency down to 96db. That's too low for me. On the up side it's very possible all those caps and coils in the crossover may smooth out the FR some.

Which brings me to your passive crossovers. I have noticed on Danley spec sheets how the impedance of you passive goes way up and down. If you were ever interested in having a passive crossover for you speakers that had a flat resistive impedance, the kind SET amps like, then you should talk to Al Klappenberger at ALK Engineering and have him design one for you. I think he charges $150 an hour. That's tip money for your company, and you will probably write it off. :)

Also your speakers are all 4ohms. Of course that would have to be higher. I have a little plan to wire my four mid drivers in series, at 32ohms, because I think it would extend tube life, and make the tube amp's life easier in general.

Now I'm gonna shoot you some real crazy talk Tom.

Make them as efficient as you can. I don't know how linear you can make them. I have seen how the exit apertures of your mid drivers have changed over the years. I've also seen you write that they are much better in that regard than in the past. Make them as efficient as you can. Then if you have to knock down the efficiency some to flatten out the FR, you still have efficiency left over. 104 or 105 after EQ would be the minimum. That way you could run the mids with a 2A3 amp, which is what you want. Can you make them with eight mid drivers? Heeeheeehee. That should do it! I'm not joking. Paul Spencer tried six drivers but couldn't make it work.

I'm a big fan of you current SH25 and SHDFA. I almost pulled the trigger on a set of your horns at one time. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Sacrifice for post EQ efficiency.

Keep up the great work!

Sincerely,

Jamie

--------------------------------------------------------

Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

Edits: 06/29/15 06/29/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How large is too large for HE? - Mr_Steady 17:21:10 06/29/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.