Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: How large is too large for HE?

Why not split the HF driver/horn efficiency from the LF driver/horn efficiency and bi-amp? The horn with compression driver will be on the order of 110-111 dB/m, which is where the most part of the fidelity is perceived. Passive crossovers that pass muster for these type of horn-loaded designs are actually labor intensive. It also seems to me that passives would be an artifact of doing business in the fixed commercial/PA marketplace.

Active crossovers actually make a lot of sense for the home enthusiast market where you can dial in the exact delays and PEQs needed (including LF room correction), use higher order crossover filters while correcting for the induced phase shifts, and perhaps even flatten the entire loudspeaker phase curve (i.e., FIR filtering). All this is very affordable now relative to passives.

Chris
"As far as the ear can tell, consistently clean and spacious bass can be reproduced only by a driver unit coupled to a horn-type acoustic transformer..."; Jack Dinsdale, May 1974

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.