Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: How large is too large for HE?

At around 350 Hz, a 15 inch driver becomes beamy and higher up radiates a series of lobes and nulls but at the point (lower in frequency) the where edge to edge multiple radiators are about ¼ wavelength apart, they stop exhibiting mutual coupling and the increase in efficiency that results from that. There is an upper practical limit of about 25% efficiency for multiple direct radiators (about 106dB 1w).

Same for the effect of a boundary or fractional space, once the distance is ¼ wavelength, there is no gain but instead a reflection which causes a cancellation notch.
My objective is to build something with very high sensitivity that radiates as a single source in time and space over the entire bandwidth, without phase shift from a crossover, without lobes and nulls caused by multiple sources and I think I see a way to do this with a horn.
I can do all this now BUT the sensitivity is about 6 dB lower and the system is much heavier, more costly and more powerful than needed for the home and Tubes.
The issue is then how large is too large.
Best,
Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.