Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Recommended amp for Voice of the Theater (VOTT) Speakers

Your commission check is in the mail.

I distinctly remember your odyssey of refurbishing your Sentry IVs. They're red, aren't they?

I appreciate you coming to my defense, although it wasn't necessary. The first time I heard the Sentry III (the furniture/home version of the Sentry IV) was at the "shop" in about '73-'74, when I was doing commercial sound installations. My boss was a hi-fi junkie. While myself and the other installer were out making a living, he'd be there ordering and receiving cool stuff. One day, I got back to the shop, and here were these beautiful speakers. After dinner, we met back there and put on some Pink Floyd and some EL&P. Ah, those were the daze! We installed several of the Sentry IVs in places like auditoriums and such, and later, after I moved to a different city, I installed four of the Sentry IIIs in a new jazz nightclub where the opening night artist was the great Freddie Hubbard. He loved 'em. (Whew!)

As you probably know, the Sentry IV uses a folded bass horn specifically to achieve greater efficiency for commercial applications. This is actually why I preferred the Sentry III - it goes lower better. The mid horn and the tweety are the same, though.

Here's the kicker... I had never heard the Altec A7 before I heard the Sentry III and IV. When I did hear the A7, I thought "that sucks". (No offense to anyone who likes them.)

Keep in mind that they A7 was the smaller step-child of the Lansing Shearer theater loudspeaker system, which was the brain child of John Hilliard. As often happens in loudspeaker design, as things get smaller, compromises must be made. So, unfortunately, the A7 ain't no Shearer.

:)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Recommended amp for Voice of the Theater (VOTT) Speakers - Inmate51 16:47:10 06/19/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.