Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Recommended amp for Voice of the Theater (VOTT) Speakers

Hey I am going to jump in here and defend Inmate51 a bit! My bias first...I own EV Sentry IV-A's. At this point they sound wonderful, but that is after a ton of work and expert guidance here, especially Paul E. and grindstone, on Hi-Eff asylum.

I have buddies that have Klipschorns and the other has A-7's. Both had their respective speakers long before I got the Sentry's. I had multiple listening sessions with both. Both sounded impressive with their respective amplification chains. (Klipschorn - Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours, A-7 JE Labs 300B's) I took a lot of crap, from both of them, on the purchase of the Sentry's..."butt ugly", (they were! ;-) ), "wannabe's" ...you get the drift.

Not to drag this out, but we did a "listen off" with my Bottlehead 300B Paramounts and Bottlehead Foreplay 3 Extended, (running 7N7's), after I got the Sentry's sorted. (Just in case you are wondering, we moved the BH kit to each house, thought it might be slightly easier than moving the speakers ;-) ) We all have similar tastes in musical genre, jazz, vocals, classical and some dino rock.

The winner was grudgingly unanimous. The Sentry IV-A's handily bested both the contenders in every subjective listening category. To be honest, the Sentry's have completely redesigned and built x-overs, all four 12" woofer refoamed and bass bins substantially built up. The K-Horns have ALK X-overs and the A-7's were stock,511B horns, reconed woofers by GPA and the stock networks.

The A-7 came in 3rd...weak bass, rolled off highs and a bit muddy in the mids with a metallic tinge. ('bout the same for the K-horns, just not as pronounced!) There is good potential there. They have cachet and a loyal following, but they need a lot of work to be on par with other "big sound" horn systems. I think the first step, assuming all is well with the drivers, is to dump the stock networks and build better crossovers. IMO that is a huge weak spot. (My buddy won't consider doing this, destroys the provenance!)

So let's cut Inmate51 some slack. He has a valid opinion. Just remember.....the only ears that you really have to please are your own!

Cheers,
Geary

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.