Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Recommended amp for Voice of the Theater (VOTT) Speakers

Hello everyone,

This is my first post to Audio Aslym. Thanks in advance for reading and participating.

I recently inherited some fantastic audio equipment, the crown pieces of which are two Voice of the Theater (VOTT) A7 speakers. They were purchased new circa 1970 for home listening, kept in a dedicated fabric covered cupboard, and only listened to on occasion. As far as I know or can tell, they have never been tampered with internally or externally. I opened up the cabinet and confirmed they include 416A 16ohm drivers with N-500-E dividing network. The horn array has four openings (not sure what you'd call those) for the one driver (forgot to check the driver model number...will get that soon).

As I am told, when these were new they were paired with a tube amplifier, which died and was never replaced. The last couple decades the speakers have been rarely used. Someone recently connected them to a Yamaha RX-V1070, but complained the speakers didn't sound right. Is this because high efficiency speakers would likely not perform well with such a high powered amp?

Ultimately, I'd like hear for myself in person what all the fuss is about with VOTT speakers. Apparently I've landed a good pair. What do I power them with that will make them shine? Preferably for under $1,000. Anything under $500 that would work?

Cheers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Recommended amp for Voice of the Theater (VOTT) Speakers - SoundSurfing 16:18:01 06/08/15 (46)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.