Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: if I may guess

I think you guys are confusing the speed of sound, how fast a sound moves through air, to the speed of vibration of the air molecules making up the sound.

Air molecules vibrate back and forth, faster with higher frequency, to produce sound and this is not the same as the constant speeed of sound ~344 m/sec in air. In acoustics when describing the vibration of the air you usually use volume velocity which is a cross-sectional area times the velocity of the vibrating air. So for example a port or driver has a volume velocity that is the circular cross-sectional area times the vibratory velocity (or the back and forth dispacement of the air molecules times the frequency of vibration).

You need to keep velocity of sound and velocity of the vibrating air molecules as two different actions that transmit and produce sound. Remember there is no net flow of air, just very small oscillations back and forth. Once the sound passes, the air molecule is left in the same position/location in the room.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.