Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: It's not quite as bad as you think....

....it's worse. I saw a sire on the web that had several suggestions for tweaks to try, and they all ended with "...and see if you enjoy the music more" or something like this. One idea was to go around the listening room with a screwdriver and make sure all if the screws on the electrical outlet plates had their slots oriented in the horizontal position and you would "..see if you enjoy etc". If you eliminate Penn and Teller from the story, it's very unlikely that anyone could detect the difference in a controlled listening test. Now if you gave this guy with the tweak a lie detector test, it's plausible that he could pass it if he really believed it worked. Now if you gave the same guy another lie detector test while playing some music, then had him adjust all the slots, then gave him another test with the same music, it's plausible that he did enjoy the music more after performing this ritual. Now you might say "What if I rotate some of the screws when he's not looking, how come the guy can't tell?". Well it's simple, the guy never claimed he could hear the positions of the screws with a listening test, he claimed that he enjoyed the music more after he performed this ritual. There's a place for science here, but it's more in the realm of psychology than testing audio equipment. The placebo effect is real, has been extensively studied, and has shown to work at times even when the subject has been told of the placebo! Richard Feynman has said that there two things you have to remember with science: 1. You have to make sure that you are not fooling yourself; and 2. That you are easiest person to fool.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.