Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: found problem with 808-8A frequency response ...

I asked the seller if they charged the alnico magnet and measured the frequency response of the driver, but they said they only replace the diaphragms and do some sort of basic signal testing.

Since I bought from a prosound company, the drivers were probably used in a PA or some high-SPL environment and got abused since the diaphragms were replaced.

The box they were shipped in looked OK, so I doubt they got mishandled.

Cosmetically, they look like new units.

Edit: spoke to Bill at GPA.

He said the problem might be dirt down inside the screen/throat of the driver and to look there first.

He said he has found all sorts of weird things like bugs or whatever and that might be clogging the outlet.

The magnetism would not be strong on the outside of the alnico unit, only at the gap, so testing at the outside of the case or at the mounting screws would not determine anything.

He also said the early rolloff due to demagnetization would affect all the bandwidth from the crossover point up, so my situation might be some other issue.

Also take note, GPA does not do any bandwidth testing after they remagnetize the drivers. I was quoted $30 for 2 units.

GPA has not tested aftermarket diaphragms, so he couldn't say if that was contributing to the problems or not.

My plan is to take the 808-8A apart and look for obstructions of other problems.

Edits: 03/19/15 03/19/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.