Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Enclosure for Altec 416A, 802D?

Wow, now you're cooking with gas! That sounds more than attractive! Would love to have heard that rig.

At a recent show (2015 CES IIRC) Wilson showed coming WHAM replacement to journalists (images only of draped/hidden speaker because prototype status only).

Wilson already has $200k/pr model. Can't remember projected price of the new flagship, but your "$100k" number pales, estimate $500k/pr.

Dave and I used to be neighbors in Novato, CA, where our daughters attended school together. I remember bumping in to Dave at the local video rental store. Anyone remember those? Funny that Dave moved to Utah years ago (Mormon status I suppose), now we're still "neighbors" (I'm 90 minutes NE of Wilson's shop).

I helped Dave set up at CES back in the day at the old Riviera Hotel. Dave signed and gave me one of the albums he recorded and produced. IIRC Dave's mastering deck was Ampex half track modified by John Curl, whose offices were in the VMPS Plant where I worked in "beautiful" San Pablo by the SF Bay.

Only persons familiar with San Pablo caught the sarcasm in "beautiful" above. I left the VMPS Plant on San Pablo Ave one night a little late. It was dark. I dropped something in the car, parked with the car idling to pick it up, looked up, and saw a local running toward me full speed like a lion running toward a wounded gazelle. Let's just say I didn't roll down my window and say, "Good evening, may I help you?" but rather stepped on the gas and laid a nice strip of rubber and smoke.

My beat around town car at that time was a red '78 Ford Fairmont wagon with 302ci V8. The V8 made only 140hp, but the car was stripped with no accessories except AC, weighed only about 2800 lbs, had a big fat torque curve, RWD, and was a kick to toss around. Even the brakes worked pretty well. The Mustang shared the Fairmont platform. I rang its neck daily and it never failed. Accord drivers thought it was just another slug Fairmont 4cyl or 6cyl and soon learned otherwise (Accords of that era make a little less HP but about half the torque). Still miss that old car. The same motor the next year '79 was emission strangled and ran like crap, but carburetion in the '78 302ci was like injection is was so clean. Got 20mpg city/freeway.

Please return to your audio channel!

Edits: 03/06/15 03/06/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Enclosure for Altec 416A, 802D? - James Romeyn 06:50:07 03/06/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.