Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

That makes total sense to me. I bet it does sound great and neat! Kinda what Ive done with "full range"

What you ended up with, is similar to what I always ended up doing with similar "full range" drivers.

I have and used a pair of Fostex Sigma 168 drivers in a pair of Z horns. When I first bought and set em up, I liked what I heard. They have great revealing and dynamic sound. But the top and bottom end left much to be desired, FOR ME... Ended up adding a Visatone horn tweeter and a sub. Then the system sounded AMAZING to me. Seems allot of guys end up going in a similar way.

Not at all trying to slam the full range community. Just for me I always preferred the sound when I added some additional drivers. Ive been to a couple shows years ago. And I remember hearing a top end Terry Cain system. Rest the fine mans soul... Very impressive. I can see how he helped keep that scene alive.

I still wish I could hear one of these "full range" driver systems with a driver in one of those crazy large 150+ lb cabinets that say they reach down to around 30hz. That could really be amazing. Id have no problem adding a horn tweeter like what I did with a simple passive Xover. Power the whole thing with a nice tube amp. I bet it really could be breath taking...

I like seeing these home made unique projects. Keep up the cool work!

Oh BTW, I miss my XM9. Really wish Id never sold it now. Didnt know all the virtues of active amplification back when I first bought it... Oh well... Done lots of learning in this hobby and Im far from done...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.