Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Do all wideband drivers have rising response?

"Back-horn-loading doesn't take care of the general rising response issue with widebanders, or Lowthers in particular. (That's why Beauhorn front-loaded the driver as well. They claimed that's how Lowthers were designed to be used, and I thought they had about the best implementation.)"

It does, but you have to know how to adjust the speakers to do it. The Hedlund Horns were designed for the Lowther DX2 and the frequency response was quite flat for that speaker. But when I purchased the DX4s, I needed to add a couple small bags of sand to the compression chamber to reduce its size and "tip down" the frequency response.

All speakers work the same way. The size of the box that a speaker is mounted in determines the system Q, which determines the frequency response. A speaker mounted in an open baffle does not change its Q, thus, crossovers must be used to adjust its frequency response, but the compression chamber does.

I suspect that Beauhorns were designed with larger compression chambers and relied on the front horn to balance the frequency response. Beauhorns very well may be the best implementation of the backhorn speakers, although I never understood how it could work because the front horn was too small to raise the lowest frequencies. I think that the lack of folds in the Hedlund Horn put it in the category of better backhorn designs for Lowthers.

However, Lowthers mounted on open baffles clearly outperforms all backloaced designs, but eliminates the possibility of using the Lowther as a full range, do it alone, speaker.

Retsel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Do all wideband drivers have rising response? - Retsel 09:20:31 02/27/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.