Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Efficiency & Resistance

The autoformer Mc developed and uses takesnthe speaker impedance and adjusts it so the amp sees a fairly uniform impedance regardless of the actual speaker impedance. Think of it as converting the speaker to amp relationship of the ss amp to look and act similar to a tube amp and speaker system. One advantage is the power is uniform regardless of the speakers impedance. It has an advantage when using speakers with complex and difficult crossover's that challenge direct coupled amps such as speakers with very high capacitance. An example is e'stats such as the old KLH Nines and JansZens.

A benefit, of course is when speakers have largest impedance swings as most do thereby having to deal with varying power and current levels that may be heard by sounding bass shy or coloring the sound, etc. the Mc amps gender to be more uniform and a speaker may significantly sound different on them but closer to what the speaker will sound like on a tube amp. This is why some persons dislike the Mc sound immensely not realizing the Mc is coming closer to presenting the speaker closer to an ampless bias sound, so to speak.

I am amazed more companies never followed Mc though in the earliest ss era a few did use output transformers to try to keep the germanium outputs more stable. The autoformer can be eliminated in the Mc and used as a dc amp. Some years ago this was tried as an experiment to see how if it could be done and the result was the Mc was stable, the voicing very close but the speakers' sound changed quite a bit, sounding as if on the Mc power amp that did not use autoformer at the time. I can not remember the model number; it was the first offered without them back in the '70s. The reviewers panel pretty much represented the public's opinion on which amp "sounded" better.

I have used Mc amps from just before their first ss until just a couple of years ago and while I have had some very fine ss as flow through the house found the Mc SS amps to be generally be more satisfying as I grew up with and used tube amps in my formative years as sell as through out my hobby years. As for ss that were not Mc, I tended to find those with capacitor coupled outputs to be more satisfying but, not sure why.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Efficiency & Resistance - Brian Levy 23:55:55 02/14/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.