Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Efficiency & Resistance

"It would seem that this amplifier has its best performance at 4Ω."

I disagree.

Damping may quell oscillations in some speakers with oscillation problems or inappropriate cabinet design, but does it not describe how well the amplifier will work or sound with all speakers to merit such generalities.

If the speaker/cabinet combination is sufficiently dampened mechanically, then it means very little with typical high impedance speakers.

It means more to sloppy high excursion-low impedance woofers that need the negative feedback to help control the woofer. These have looser suspension and soft surrounds. The voice coil has less turns so it makes a weaker electromagnet then a comparable high impedance coil.

This aligns with what I said about the challenges to building a current type amplifier. The negative feedback is an attempt to correct the inherent flaws of such topologies, the lack of grip on the voice coil.

If you short the terminals on an 8 ohm and a 16 ohm speaker that are otherwise the same, you will find it harder to push the cone in on the 16ohm speaker. That is because it has a better motor, these motors will be more responsive to changes in voltage.
△This message will self destruct in 10 seconds△

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Efficiency & Resistance - Garg0yle 23:39:16 02/14/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.