Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Parked the GPA 604's

I'm not sure what version I have. They're about 7 years old. They must be ferrite magnets, and they have the stock GPA xo.

I knew all along that the stock xo was something that "probably" could be improved, BUT, I just had to figure the folks at GPA knew something more than nothing. Why they would send out a product with a "known" poor design, I couldn't say, nor necessarily believe, but less than tops parts quality could be expected. I wouldn't immediately assume that parts quality (caps resistors and coils) could solve the problems, but who knows.

I wanted speakers that would go lower FLAT than what a 604 will, in ANY cabinet. I solved that. I also wanted to get away from compression drivers
and their inherent issues/limitations, while maintaining high efficiency
and low if not lowER distortion. This includes amplitude distortion, which I am sensitive to, and with the one exception of WE 555's, compression drivers hurt (my ears).

To be fair, I find a 604 can do well on recordings from the mid 50's to early 60's, usually small ensemble jazz, that were mixed down using 604's as monitors in the first place. They were a popular choice in many studios in that era. This also assumes modest polite sound levels.
Because in these cases there is very little if any deep bass, and the fact that "most" of the peaking non-linear issues were solved in the mix,
I can (who knows who else) listen to this with some satisfaction.
There is no doubt a that a 604 will always be regarded as a "classic", because it IS historically. To regard it as a "standard", today, not yesterday, is IMHO, just no longer valid. There are as many listening preferences as there are forum members here, so I don't expect unanimous
agreement, or any, but in my path of discovery, I have stated my findings sincerely.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.