Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Parked the GPA 604's

So glad to loose the beaming peaky amplitude distorted compression drivers.
Oh ya! They were good to develop better 3W amps with, being efficient, but the headache is over!

I'm still getting used to it all. New (to me) room, newly assembled homebrew speaker system. Also new for me is biamping.

I built a JBL design for the 2245's, as per the designer, FLAT to 26hz unassisted. This is at 95-6db BTW. Just regular bass reflex. The 1" MDF and 2x4's for bracing adds up to unmovable refrigerators. JBL 2123 's and Beyma TPL-150H run off a DIY SE 3W tube amp, and a SS amp for the lows. I made 1" MDF braced little boxes for the mids, I think this is better than in the same box. The tweeters sit in little frames/stands I made from the junk wood pile.
I painted the cabinets with silver hammertone out of a can with a brush.
I won't be winning any aesthetic awards for this rig. But there's no significant other to complain, so I'm getting away with it.

Still to come is perfecting the XO, I just used decent audio caps I had around and put enough in parallel to get the value I needed. It almost seems like the 2123's are hotter than the tweeters, but the more I listen the more I think they're about equal. Very good HF reproduction, real sounding, not exaggerated. Dynamics are honest, strong, yet again Not exaggerated (I hate that).

With the exception of the tweeters, this is cheap to make.
I can't remember what they cost but it was like $400-500 each.
I got the 2245 baskets for $40 each, and had them reconed with factory kits they now make available. 2123's are easy to find and cheap.
I'm surprised there's little interest in them, they do 200-5K pretty well at 101db. I'm using them up to 2K with a 1st order xo.
I guess anyone who's made something similar may use a more modern 8"
instead. I looked into that a little, but just went with these.

I'll admit that I immediately noticed the non-single source point "sound"
was "different" than what I was used to. It took about 30 seconds to not miss it. I traded that for "full range" and flatter. That's just what I wanted. Can't have both.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Parked the GPA 604's - GSH 14:55:36 02/08/15 (49)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.