Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Horn Shoppe Horns (long)

"The strings, brass and 'winds are piercing as in having a wire inserted in one ear and pulled out the other. Female voices and male choruses have a "gargle" quality."

Wire through the ear. Ouch! I don't perceive any of those displeasures, even at reasonably high volume. Of course, as a Classical music aficionado, you could argue that all Rock music sounds like wire inserted in the ears, but that's another topic for another time.

You don't mention if you've tried other amps. Have you eliminated a clipping F1 (was yours updated to the J?) as the cause of the piercing and gargling? If not, I'd try a more powerful amp, to see if the breaking up continues at high volumes.

I'm not trying to sound like a Horn Shoppe fan-boy, who believes that it couldn't possibly be the Horns causing your issues. They aren't perfect. But, as you said, at their price level (and often above) they don't often disappoint me.

Back to the First Watt F1 for a moment. Do you use any type of damping material in the Horn's throat? When I first visited the Schilling compound to demo the Horns, Ed hooked up about five different amps to let me hear how they sounded with each one. One of them was his F1. He had two rolled up towels, and stuffed one up each little bottom of the Horns, but only when the F1 was used.

I fell in love with the Horns and and ordered a pair during that visit. I also went on a quest to find a used F1 for sale, and eventually bought #26 of 101 F1 models Pass built. When the First Watt is in the system I have to stuff the Horn throat too, mostly to control the bottom. I use Acousta-Stuf polyfill from Parts Express. I've forgotten to remove it when I switch to one of my tube amps, and think there's something wrong with the amp, until I remember the Horn stuffing. I know it's not the bottom you're concerned with, but mention all that just as an FYI if you haven't tried it.

The Heils have been a temptation for me as well, but I've hesitated for a couple of reasons. One is the cost, as you mentioned. Second is that it turns the Horns into a two-way, which creates a problem using my F1J. I'm told there's a work-around that Nelson Pass developed in crossover design, but it's another complication. The third reason was Ed. Have you read about the DIY subwoofer he came up with? If not, see the link below. I already have one of Ed's "Cube" subs, but don't use it when running the F1J amp. Ed cuts his own financial throat by telling everyone not to buy his Cube, because the DIY sub is better. I mentioned to Ed that I was considering a pair of Heils, which he would make a profit on, and he told me to build the Bucket sub instead. More bang for the buck, was his assessment. That's why I like the guy. He's too honest for his own good.

I've done some rambling here, but hopefully it will give you a few things to try, or at least think about. Again, good luck, and if you do make some changes, even if it's dumping The Horns for a speaker you like better, please post your results.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.