Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Horn Shoppe Horns

1973shovel,

Many thanks for the informative reply.

Our "problem" is seeming breakup at crescendos or loud passages involving violins, trumpets, most woodwinds, female voices (both solos and chorus) and male chorus. The strings, brass and 'winds are piercing as in having a wire inserted in one ear and pulled out the other. Female voices and male choruses have a "gargle" quality.

Mid-range to ~50Hz are superb, about the best we've heard at this price level. Bass drums have both whack and boom. Tympani likewise. Organ notes can be felt. Celli & basses have a rich bloom about them & I can hear the basses dig really deep. Soundstage, making allowances for my room, is impressive and stable, as is imaging.

The Horns have the Fostex FE126En upgrade. We have no problem driving the Horns to really loud levels. The Truth replaced an Eastern Electric Mini Max preamp. We have the same issues, pluses and minuses using it. We did find that the rectifier tube made a hug difference in soundstage and imaging. We use a Tung Sol 6x4 very happily...

I think our next step will probably be the Heils, when we get the $$$...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.