Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Horn Shoppe Horns

Since you already own them (thanks for raising the awareness level, Craiger56) you must have an idea of the answer to your question, at least in regards to The Horns.

If you wouldn't mind clarifying, is it image size, room filling ability, or sheer volume (in dB) you feel is lacking? I'm asking, because I also own The Horns, listen primarily to Blues and Rock, sometimes at volumes louder than would be considered safe. They don't distort or break up at these volumes, and they fill the room to my satisfaction. With their 4" (not 3" as you stated) driver, I never would have believed it if I hadn't heard it. Sure, I've heard speakers which will play louder (Altec 604, A5, etc.), and sound "bigger" but obviously they're not single driver, or in my price range.

I noticed that you have the second generation Horns. I upgraded my drivers to the Fostex FE126En, which was a nice improvement. Additionally, you also use the same preamp and amp I use. My Truth will not drive the First Watt F1J to full volume, (but it will get full output out of my tube amps). Sometimes on those late nights when I want to listen at "eleven", the Truth / F1J doesn't quite make it. Ed suggested hooking up my CD player directly to the F1J, and the test proved that The Truth is attenuating the signal slightly. I need to send it back for an update, and in the meantime I'm using a tube preamp which drives the 10 watt F1J to full output.

You asked, "Are single driver speakers limited to small groups/ensembles at moderate sound levels?". Not in my experience. I'd certainly say that about the Quad ESL 57s I owned, but not the Horn Shoppe Horns.

Every speaker is a compromise. I hope you find what you're looking for, and continue to enjoy your music. Good luck!

Edits: 01/30/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.