Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: AGAIN Why no rear and front HORN loaded MIDRANGE drivers in Pro sound ?

DJK

The Klipsch Horn itself has a built in delay between the midrange horn and the output of the woofer through the folded corner horn, and this delay reaches up well into the critical midrange over an octave above the 200 Hz region of the acoustical crossover of a typical BLH or double loader. I've heard of attempts to get the mid and woofer in phase with digital delay on a K-horn, but I've never listened to one. I've always liked the K-horns, but due to this delay and it's proximity to the midrange (plus the offset between the mid and tweeter), the K-horns present a rather vague stereo image. For this reason they have been dismissed and ignored by what's left of the audiophile press (Stereophile and TAS), at least until Sound Practices appeared in the early 90's.

When I met PWK back in the 90's I asked him about the subject of time alignment of the drivers. He told me that he had tested this where he had a separate mid and woofer placed in front of him playing music, with an assistant who would move the woofer as he listened with his eyes closed. He had his hand raised and would lower it when he heard a difference. At one point he noticed something had bumped his foot, and when he opened his eyes he saw it was the woofer! Following this story he produced the famous B.S. button from his pocket. He was a grand gentleman and an audio pioneer, but in regards to this he missed the boat in my opinion. BTW I agree that a 48" offset between the tweeter and mid in a K-horn would definitely be audible and not for the good.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.