Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: AGAIN Why no rear and front HORN loaded MIDRANGE drivers in Pro sound ?

Rafaro

What you are describing was invented in the 1930's by H.F. Olson. It was called a Compound Horn Loudspeaker in the patent (do a google search to see Olson's original patent which was granted in 1940 right before WW2). This configuration is also known as a double loaded horn. Olson's design used a single cone driver while you propose using 4 8" drivers. You would need to face the 8" drivers toward each other on the horn walls in a manner similar to Tom Danley's Unity horn, which used computer modeling to get the several drivers to work together as I recall. You would need a complex manifold at the rear of the 8" drivers to couple them to the rear horn. Olson's rear horn was bifurcated, that is it split in two parts which joined together further along, and then followed into an "S" bend into the horn mouth. The 80 Hz lower end is realistic, however getting smooth response to 2000 Hz from those 4 facing 8" drivers on the front horn would be tricky, involving a lot of experimentation, "cut and try" and probably EQ (which is going to be there anyway in a PA). This is most likely the reason you don't see designs like this in PA's, it's rather complicated compared to conventional designs. BTW the acoustical crossover between the rear bass horn and the front mid horn in a design like Olson's is typically in the 200 Hz region, and there will a dip in the response in this region where the front and rear out puts add together out of phase, however 200 Hz is well out of the midrange, and the output of the rear horn will also be delayed from the mid by about 1 millisecond for every 1 ft. of bass horn length. Back loaded horns (like many Lowther designs) will have this same dip and delay, and I've never read or heard anyone commenting that it's particularly a problem in them.

It's possible, but don't expect it to be easy.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.