Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Duplex 50/40 corner boxes.

I would like to share these specs for those interested.

The internal volume is around 16 cubic feet tuned to 28Hz, the -3db is @ 30Hz. I guess it is considered an Extended Bass shelf alignment.

You may notice the port is removable should I want to change the tuning.
The access hatch for installing the speaker is similarly recessed in, but is not visibly in the picture.

Six 5'x5'x 3/4" Void free Baltic Birch sheets were used.

The below WinISD simulations are based on 1 watt and around 3 ohm series resistance to generally accommodate the low damping factors of the amp(s) I intend to use them with.

I tried to decide to finish them nicely or go for the classic Altec grey finish.
To simplify construction, I went with the Grey paint on Birch-ply boxes, then some time down the road I may make some nicer panels to slip on to the front portion of the boxes.
Veneering is also still an option.

What you may not see in the picture is additional triangular bracing on the inside of the boxes. It is probably lightly braced by some peoples standards but it has been fine at the volume levels I listen to it at so far.
The back walls are lightly fleeced.

They do fit through regular doors and are surprisingly easy to slide around on the floor with the three nylon feet I attached.

As I mentioned in another thread, these use less floor area then the 5 cu foot Altec cabinets.

They are at a 50/40 degree angle as I find this more versatile then a 45 degree angle cabinet.

I am very satisfied with this project. I did not want to have a sub-woofer so this design works very well for me.

They sound effortless, very snappy and dynamic. They reproduce bass textures in a way that I had never experienced.
I suppose that is the advantage of having bass reproduced by a 15" paper cone that moves very little.

△This message will self destruct in 10 seconds△

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Duplex 50/40 corner boxes. - Garg0yle 13:54:26 12/09/14 (44)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.