Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Spiral Bass Super Horn

When I was a youngster of twenty, I wanted to build a full size bass horn, but never had the room. Much later, I discovered Hornresp and my life as a horn affectionado has never been the same.

The horn requires some EQ to get down to 20 hz, but I mention that fact on my website. Efficiency drops dramatically below 25 hz, but how often do we reproduce 20 hz waves in our music. To me, music is pretty much 30hz and up with the occasional special bass effect. A pair of M-125 tube amps are more than ample (125 watts per horn segment) and the bass can become extremely uncomfortable when turned up too loud. I guess this is the place where audio nirvana becomes audio nightmare. :)

I had originally considered placing the horn's mouth near the floor, but soon discovered that the weight was concentrated on the opposite end of the horn, away from the mouth. It simply spooked the b'jesus out of me to have all the weight above the center of gravity. To each his own, though.

Because the horn is spiraled, the bass is extremely smooth and doesn't sound strained in the least. The Lab 12 drivers do an admirable job, but they tend to smear the bass above 100hz. This is why I purchased a pair of Radian Neo 2216 fifteen inch drivers. They are truly impressive and don't smear the sonics below 200 hz. Because of this fact, I found myself in a position to design a smaller mid bass horn that employs eight inch drivers (B&C 8PE21). The signature of the system has taken a huge leap forward in sound quality.

I could rattle on for hours, but don't want to hog everyone's attention. Thanks for sharing comments and opinions. This is how we build our community. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.