Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: A SEISMIC question for Dr. Edgar

I have been using these for over 15 years. They are atop the suggested sand boxes since they are on a suspended floor.

I have tried boosting the lowest octave and it screws up the sound for the whole range the SEISMICs are asked to reproduce. Not that the SEISMICs are anemic but when it comes to really low tones they are much lower in level than the rest of the spectrum. More is left to the imagination than I would like.

I have one of the mentioned subwoofers working and there is no comparison in what is happening in the lowest octave. It is there, demonstrably there. No imagination needed. And with the SEISMICs cut off at 40 they are much happier and the sound has lower distortion. No surprise there.

Hence the desire to optimize the SEISMICs - seems to me there is no need for the extra back chamber volume since there is no need for them to respond below cut-off. One would think a smaller volume would give better damping of the cone.

Still hoping Dr. Edgar will give me a starting point for the back chamber volume!

I should mention I like listening at 90 - 95 db for peaks - not at too loud levels. Though there are some who might think that is too loud.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: A SEISMIC question for Dr. Edgar - rickmcinnis@dogwoodfabrics.com 08:52:50 11/07/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.