Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: 15" Woofer for 2-way project

That's a purdee-looking speaker.

I don't want to rain on your parade, 'cause you're obviously passionate about doing this and you want great sound quality, but...

The girl you want might not be the girl you should marry.

If you want great sound quality (the definition of which varies from person to person), you really gotta go to a 3-way, or maybe even a 4-way.

All these "full-range" people are in denial. Inevitably, they add a woofer and a tweeter - which makes it a three or four way speaker!

I've not seen a 15" woofer which does 800 Hz well, in a domestic environment. They can 'work' in studio control rooms, where there's a limited and specific horizontal listening area, the room is fairly 'dead', and early reflections are properly controlled. I've also not seen a compression driver which does both 800 Hz and 18,000 Hz well.

If you are hell-bent on a 2-way, go to a 10" or 12" woofer, to gain greater dispersion and a better match to the "HF" horn's dispersion.

That's all I've got for now.

:)

P.S.: Yes, yes, the old Altec 19 and such sounded great in their day and within a certain listening area and especially in a room with the curtains, carpeting, and over-stuffed furniture of the day.

A 15" has very limited dispersion at 800 Hz.

On the other hand, some people here call me a troll. THW them. LOL

:)

Edits: 11/06/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.