Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Ok I'll listen! & Learn

You'd be best off building your own. For under $500 you could build a pair of Frugal-horns, using the Fostex FE126En driver.

I built a pair of small boxes for these drivers and my 15wpc (if that) 6B4G push-pull amp could drive them to ridiculously loud levels. The Frugal-horn is supposed to be a properly sized box that will make them shine and the drivers themselves are rated 94db I believe. And while there are higher efficiency speakers out there, 94db is a lot more than you're getting now. There are also other drivers that can be used in the same box, such as the Alpair 7.3, but they aren't as efficient.

I'm sure someone will chime in and tell us why the Fostex won't sound good, peakiness, harsh, shouty. But in practice they will have a gorgeous midrange that give vocals such a presence that you won't believe how cheap they are. Timbre and realism will be there. Bass, maybe not so much if you're used to big thumping bass down to 25hz. But you will get bass from these small drivers. Just google Frugal Horn and you'll find out more. (I'm not a shill for these guys, just have been following what they're doing. Making a lot of money is not one of them, although they do sell some products.) They're in Canada too if that matters to you.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.