Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Avantgarde Horns

I didn't consider the Community M4. It's an interesting driver.

"I'm being serious. If the AG 5" 300hz horn sounds good and meets it's advertising, then brother we all need one. You just couldn't copy the horn. Your right, it's the custom driver too"

Playing in hornresp, I can't seem to get any regular driver to model to 104dB/watt in free space. If I model half space, then I can sim 104dB to 300Hz in a AG sized horn - AG is possibly including some room gain in their specification. That would be reasonable for a speaker intended for small rooms / near wall placement.

The image is one simulation of the B&C 8PE21 8" Midrange Speaker, in free space, 10watts input, crossover as shown. That looks like acceptable ripple, ~107dB output, -3dB at 300Hz, from 0.25mm of cone movement. It shows HF rolloff early, but that's a limitation of hornresp, as discussed in the link

I'm sure some horn genius could tweak it to perform better than that.

My point: 300hz from a modest horn doesn't seem like an impossible goal, or one that requires a magic driver. If it were me, I'd still build it a bit bigger though :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.