Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Avantgarde Horns

Hi Bones!

I would suggest not buying the Vaughn Triode speakers. Why? Well because I used the Fostex FE208ES-R drivers which are even better than the Fostex FE208E used in those Vaughn's and I removed them immediately upon hearing a pair of Rispoli modified Dayton PS220-8 drivers! There's just so much better, for much less money. Heck have someone build Dick Olsher's Bazzillas for you!

FYI my system ---{you can see all components and the room they're in at the link below}--- uses double-back-loaded horns, with Fostex T900a super tweeters and a 40W/ch SET amp. Bones from what I've read I agree with others here about you either contacting John Kalinowski of KCS Speakers ---{John Kalinowski I believe will custom build a speaker for you}--- or Les Hudsen of Waveboxes. The Avantgardes are colored with that "horn sound" that I'm sure within 3 months will drive you crazy.

Personally if I were you, I'd be looking at the Odeon La Traviata in the Audio Trader section of Audio Asylum. They're $14K new, only $4.9K now, don't sound like horns, yet are! So you get the sensitivity and dynamics of horns without the horn coloration heard in the Avantgardes and these aren't huge! So they should easily fit in your room. I'd buy them over the Vaughn Triodes any day!

I'm listening to: Much Afraid by Jars of Clay

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Avantgarde Horns - thetubeguy1954 13:34:12 10/23/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.