Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Avantgarde Horns

Dr Bones,

Read up on the Uno Fino. Probably should have done that before my first post huh?

A couple of points and then I'll leave it alone. The crossover for the mid horn is forward thinking, and shows superb engineering. Letting the driver rolloff form the sole acoustical crossover is not something I see done with horns. PWK did something close to that.

A 300hz crossover is ambitious for the largest of horn systems. I have chased that 300hz wheel of fire, and spent plenty of time and money doing it. I finaly gave up, and settled on 350. It's why I'm taking the time to write this.

The mid horn is a awfully small for 300hz. It's 20" wide and 12" long. I understand that it's using a 5" exit compression driver. That explains how it can be short, but it doesn't account for the small mouth. I've gotten rusty on the finer points of horn theory, but I think it produces a wildly irregular impedence on the low end. BIll could explain the effects of a too small mouth better than me. Everybody on this forum has run a horn too low, had it unload, and go into gross distortion. This horn wouldn't do that, but I think it would do something else.

I could be wrong! Avantgarde goes all the way with horns, and I love that. The Uno Fino shows that. Putting a huge Community PA driver on a litte monkey coffin, Jeez Louise. I bet the Asians will sit up and notice. If that mid horn sounds good then I would say they earned every penny of the 18K, and they would get my vote for best horn speaker company in the universe.

Jamie

Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.