Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: I Can't Wait To Hear/See Danley At AES

They are a DIY (obviously...I can't afford the real deal) Synergy horn. Each one is a 22.5" cube...60x60 coverage. They have 4 8" Dayton Classic 8" woofers, 4 3" Dayton Designer Series 3" full ranges, and a PRV-D290 tweeter.

The frequency response is good but nothing particularly spectacular, passive crossovers. There are a couple things to note:

1. The bass measurement in the attached image was measured under different conditions than the mid/high frequency (soundeasy isn't that easy and it got me on the save data exit)

2. Pay no attention to the magnitude...the speakers are in the ~90dB 2.83V range, I took these measurements using SoundEasy with a calibration, but no voltage reference so an absolute SPL wasn't possible. I used to use Praxis...but had to give up on that XP machine, couldn't keep it going. Now I use REW...one of these days I'll re-do the measurements and possibly the crossovers.

And lastly the sound:

I can't actually overstate this: The tonal balance of a well designed mini-monitor, the dynamics of a well designed horn, immediacy of an electrostatic and the ease of listening of the absolute best full rangers. Add to that headphone like pinpoint imaging without the "in your head soundtrack" (or hot ears) problem....and you start to get the idea.

I've been to many a CES show, and dealer...and home...heard everything from some of the big boy JBL studio speakers, Wilson Grand Slam on Halcro, Sonus Faber Amati on VTL Wotan, Focal Utopia. on Audio Research..etc. The Synergy horn isn't going to back down from any of them. I've never actually heard the real deal, but I've "known" Tom online for almost 20 years dating back to the days when I ran "The Basslist" off of servers at UT. The concept is stunning in it's brilliance, it took me years to figure out what was going on. Once I saw the problems solved, directivity, time alignment, distortion reduction, wavefront divergence...I set out to design mine. I went through 5 major prototype revisions and countless minor revisions...

And it was worth it. I still chuckle often at the thought of: That's in my house.

-Scott

Scott Hinson
speakerscott.tumblr.com
www.etsy.com/shop/SpeakerScott

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I Can't Wait To Hear/See Danley At AES - SpeakerScott 20:18:29 10/20/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.