Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Sealed back mid drivers for Multiple Reentrant Horns

"1)My question is; If you wanted a multiple (driver reentrant horn that could cross over at 350hz with sealed back drivers, so you could get the higher efficiency, how big would the drivers have to be? Just off the top of your head. :)

2)And second, would drivers of that size be possible to implement? Would the horn still use four drivers?"

1) Re-entrant (folded) horns are very difficult to DIY and get decent results above 350 Hz. Implementing multiple drivers makes them even harder to get right. The desired SPL output determines the diaphragm size and count, given a fixed excursion, one larger diaphragm can equal multiple small diaphragms. The drivers typically used in Synergy horns have much more excursion than those used on PA re-entrant horns, but require multiples to get near the efficiency of thread on phenolic PA drivers.
2) Re-entrant horns with 16 drivers "plumbed" to one horn have been used for wartime "communication".

Synergy type horns have been made with good response using drivers from one inch to 15", with as little as two drivers to several dozen.

Art

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.