Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Around 10k well integrated horns in Europe

Hi Bonzo,

I love horns too. Let me lay down a dream horn system that would make Bonzo go Gonzo. You have got some great suggestions so far, this is just another.

You got the cash, and I'm going with you having the just as important square footage in you swinging London pad.

First though, the website for Autotech horns is: http://www.horns-diy.pl/
I have a pair of their 12" OSWG horns. I can attest to their excellent quality. EricH at DIY Soundgroup has done a great deal to help American DIY'ers, but the economics of shipping big horns across the Atlantic twice doesn't usually work out well.

Here it goes:

Two options for bass bins. One, a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice HT Tubas with 12" drivers, or two, a pair of Autotech 80hz J horns, maybe with a BF HT as a sub. The J horns would be guaranteed to flip any audiophile's lid. Crossover points, maybe 250hz for the HT, and 300hz for the J horn? BF and many others would know better.

Mid horn, the Autotech 150hz Spherical horn loaded with a BMS 4592ND. Run it up to 3000hz.

For the tweeter the AT OSWG makes a fine one. Most any driver would work. To me, the tweeter is necessary, but not critical. Let's just say BMS.

You will need an electronic crossover. Three way, maybe four way with a sum switch. Maybe your preamp has two signal outs. I would suggest Marchand, but for a dream system you could also consider Accuphase.

You will need some measurement software like HOLMImpulse, mic, and computer, so at least you can set the levels for the three horns.

But really that's it! The blood is leaving my head just thinking about it.

The scenario I've given you is one that is pretty linear requiring little or no EQ. The Danley horns may really be better. I haven't heard them, but I plan to. My Red Spade PSE-144s just arrived, so I will have an idea. ( I swear I'll try to post pictures.)Frankly though the thought of going down to 100db efficiency makes me shudder. A 300b amp should just cut it. Also they require EQ. I would like to try a Danley two way on top of the J horns. That would be a dream system too. The Inlow sound 80hz straight horn would rock too, but it does extend one and a third meters into your room.

Horns and SET amps go together. One allows for the other to be used. They're foils. Triamping these horns is just about the only way to use sub two watt amplifiers, which is where the fun, and some of the magic is. Stats are cool, but you can't use SET amps. Not even big scary ones.

It's the front loaded horn bass bins that take it all the way. Don't compromise. Go all the way.

Jamie

Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.