Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Bi-amping Klipsch LaScala

Hi KanedaK,

Thank you for the kind words.

I tell you this because it could save you a good deal of money in the future. Biamping get's you 80% of triamping. You can have a pretty top notch crossover system that you could live with for years. You already have half of it. Then you you are free to make the next upgrade you want.

Here is some short and sweet advice since you like your LaScalas.

Keep it three way. You can save two way for later, much later. It's an irritating, maddening fact that the folded W bass bin doesn't go that high, and two way compression drivers don't go that low. Two way horns are a subject unto themselves.

When you do decide to upgrade your mid horn and driver the big choice is whether you want a wider dispersion with a loss in detail, or a round horn that has a narrow dispersion and, well, damn near perfect sound. Then you find a horn and driver that goes down to 350-400hz. That is a subject unto itself also.

One more thing. These folded W bass bins are Mr. Klipsch's bass bins. The harder I tried to improve the crossover points for various reasons, the more I see that Mr. K made superb choices given the physics and economics of it all. Don't fight Mr. Klipsch. You may have to drop the high pass a smidge given your horn/driver combo, but nothing else. IMHO if and when a horn/driver can pull off 400 to 6000hz well, then the LS is like a full range point source speaker, with maybe a sub underneath.

Hope you have fun on your journey. Fully front loaded horn three way speakers are worth all the trouble.

I'm waiting on my Red Spade PSE-144 multiple reentrant, Danley style, horn to come in. I'll check in once I've given it a good long listen. We'll see if the future is here now.

I've enjoyed our stroll on the grounds.
Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Bi-amping Klipsch LaScala - Mr_Steady 20:46:07 08/20/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.