Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

I Need Help Achieving 100Hz & Below Correctly

Most who know me, know I'm using Sachiko double-back-loaded horns. Finally after six years of searching for the most natural sounding 8" full-range drivers. I sold my somewhat uncommon Fostex FE208ES-R drivers and settled on Rispoli-modified Dayton PS220-8 drivers! IMHO when loaded in the Sachikos these are THE 8" fullrange drivers to beat without going crazy and buying Voxativ or Feastrex drivers, but I'm not here to discuss what drivers are best in the Sachiko.

What I'm looking for is the best way to augment the sound from 100Hz down. But I have some criteria. This cabinet/driver combo must be sensitive. It has to match the Sachiko/Dayton's lightning fast dynamics, excellent transient response and ability to allow notes to naturally decay into the blackness of silence. I want to hear the natural fullness in the lower registers of music that's heard when acoustic instruments such as a standup bass, an acoustic grand piano or tuba is playing music. But I also want to hear it without the added bloat that's so often passed off as being "real" bass and incorrectly attributed to being the real sound of these instruments when playing music using these lower notes! This cabinet/driver combo must also have the correct pitch, timbre and harmonics of bass notes that so few speakers seem capable of even playing, let alone, achieving.

After six years of searching for the "best" sound I finally settled on using the Dayton PS220-8 in the Sachikos playing fullrange and allowed to roll-off naturally at both extremes. With the Fostex T900a super-tweeters crossing in at 10Khz I believe from 50Hz to 35KHz I'm now playing music about as cleanly and natural sounding as I'm capable of achieving. So now I need to know what cabinet/driver combo my fellow high sensitivity aficionados, would suggest I use with the Sachikos? One of Tom Danley's tapped horns? One of Les Hudson's wave-boxes? Or perhaps one of Bill Fitzmaurice's horn subs? I'm open to any idea of suggestion that meet's my criteria.

And I can finally say this is the last area in my present system's sonic presentation that I believe I can improve on WITHOUT having to spend more money than I have and probably would care to spend even if I could do so! So does anyone have any suggestions for me about how to fill in from 100Hz and below that meets my criteria? TIA...

I'm listening to Bluebird Fly by Jessica Lee

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - I Need Help Achieving 100Hz & Below Correctly - thetubeguy1954 17:55:37 08/14/14 (88)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.