Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

REVIEW: Royal Device Laura Studio with Miranda Horn Speakers

Model: Laura Studio with Miranda Horn
Category: Speakers
Suggested Retail Price: $10,895/pair
Description: 2-way floorstander, 98.5dB sensitivity 24Hz - 20Khz, 101dB sensitivity A-weighted, back horn loaded bass cabinet, full-range 8.5
Manufacturer URL: Royal Device
Model Picture: View

Review by genungo on July 27, 2014 at 17:53:08
IP Address: 184.167.106.140
Add Your Review
for the Laura Studio with Miranda Horn

The Laura/Miranda hybrid horn speakers are made by Royal Device of Italy.

I love the way these speakers look with their hardwood-encased Seas soft dome horns perched on top. When real pride goes into the building of a thing you can feel it, and the feeling you get when looking at the Lauras confirms pride. I'd say that the Lauras are far more attractive than most floorstanding speakers, mostly because of the deeply burnished look and feel that high quality labor imparts. The Lauras are basically "simple rectangular boxes" but the finish, the smoothed corners, the slanting front baffles and grilles work together to keep the eye moving. Just right, says Goldilocks!

The sound is big, smooth, colorful, and slightly mellow to my ears. The leading edges like to give way to bloom whenever possible, but in balance it all comes off sounding like a very happy arrangement. This is like "comfort food" for the ears. It's the sound of domestic tranquility, if you will. And while it's always nice to feel comfortable, choose your associated gar wisely. Don't let the woman (your inner woman?) toss too many pillows on the sofa. Comfy is ok. TOO mushy and effeminate, never. Thankfully, the feeling of lost balls was generally not present while I was listening to the Lauras sing.

I can imagine these speakers sounding their best in a slightly larger and more reflective room than my own. with associated gear that is vivid and colorful sounding. I do have some colorful and vivid sounding associated gear, and that gear helped keep this review going in a positive direction. Soundstaging/imaging was quite good, although it was not as precisely measured as the soundstaging of my ribbon speakers. The soundstage actually seemed bigger than usual with the Lauras in system, though, while the soundscape seemed to be pushed farther backwards. Imaging seemed slightly blurry, but the picture was always cohesive and in scale.

Low-level musical details are very easy to follow with these speakers yet details never seem forced or propelled forward apart, from the musical flow. The subtle power distant thunder makes itself known. Some would say that the Laura's warmish, "distant" character sounds more naturalistic than the crackly presentations do (there are so many different ways to be "realistic", so it's your call). Bass goes deep and partakes of the warmish character that pervades the mids, but once again, everything seems smooth and balanced in transition from top to bottom. The folded horn cabinets seem to be very well designed and constructed because I never detected any extraneous noises or overt resonances during loud passages.

I've really been enjoying my time with the Laura/Miranda loudspeakers. If there ever was such a thing as a "music lover's" speaker, these would have to be them. Not the most dynamic speakers around, but surely some of the sweetest! One problem is that the rest of my furniture looks worse than before, juxtaposed against the beautiful Lauras.

Product Weakness: You'll probably prefer to to feed your Garage Rock recordings to the Klipschorns in the other room.
Product Strengths: Relaxed authority, completely non-fatiguing sound. Beautiful finish and construction.

Associated Equipment for this Review:

Amplifier: ASL Wave 8 SE monoblocks
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): Endler Audio Shotgun attenuators
Sources (CDP/Turntable): Rega Planet/Technics SP-25 (custom w/ Rega arm)
Speakers: Royal Device laura, Clements hybrid-ribbon monitors
Cables/Interconnects: Misc.
Music Used (Genre/Selections): All
Room Size (LxWxH): 13 x 17 x 8
Room Comments/Treatments: Furnished, untreated
Time Period/Length of Audition: 7 + days
Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Misc.
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - REVIEW: Royal Device Laura Studio with Miranda Horn Speakers - genungo 17:53:08 07/27/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.