Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: PPSL hit box

Just this week I completed my 3rd in a series of ppsl's. In each case I learn more. My most recent used the 12" bigger brother Dayton PA-310.
This is what, a $65.00 driver? My previous (and still existing) uses Eminence Definimax 4012's
They Dayton version was built in a previous form as a ppsl bi-pole.
I did not like the rearward radiation, so I flipped the baffle inside out, so it effectively became a ppsl. The only thing is the wiring is now exposed, but no big deal as this was also an experiment to hear whether loading into a sonotube as a common back volume gave me different results than when each driver is loaded into an individual sonotube.
Well, my one question was answered: it is now confirmed it is better to share a common back volume AND to orient the drivers such that the back wave does not load into a "tunnel" but rather firing against the curved wall.Sorry that I do not have pictures taken at this time as they would go a long way towards illustration. Another difference is the Eminence version uses a triangular shaped slot for the top and bottom, but the sides (or baffle boards) are still parallel. The Dayton is a more conventional shallow rectangle. I can for SURE hear this "box effect", but the THWACK (or hit!!!) aspect is almost as good as with the Eminence drivers. To me, this is the FORTE of this design; it must be the reaction cancelling aspect. As far as the useful upper limit, I strongly believe this is a function of the construction/size of the plenum. Both builds have problems as they approach 250Hz, but lessor so with the triangular version. I suppose the next step would be to build the plenum with all four walls non-parallel, and this, of course makes the build even more complicated. I am thinking of re-building the Eminence version by replacing the opposing sonotubes with a conventional enclosure, and as Moray suggests, lining as much of one wall of the plenum with acoustic even though I know it's effectiveness is limited as the frequencies descend. It couldn't hurt though, could it?
As I close I must reiterate that the THWACK !! has never been duplicated by any other speaker I have heard. A good test source is
the Sheffield "James Newton Howard and Friends". Just listen to the DRUMS on a ppsl and you will be as sold on the design as I am (we are).
The design just needs some tweaking, that's all !

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.