Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: compensation circuit...another try

hello,

I removed that Altec comp circuit and tried a simple RC parallel network on the output of the crossover cap.

Before work, I tried .47uF//25 ohms and the Zobel, no L-Pad.

It sounded smooth, but when I got home and measured, the high end was rolled off too much.

I played around with various combination of resistors and caps in the comp RC network while sweeping pink noise in ARTA.

Ended up with a 5uF//25 ohms and the Zobel before calling it quits.

The integration between woofer and horn sounds a bit better.

The high end rolls off a bit more this way, but there is enough high Hz to hear cymbols or high hat on drums well enough.

My next step will probably be an active 2nd order crossover with opamps and a comp circuit for the horn.

Not sure where I will end up with this since I have a non-Altec compression driver and woofer.

Edit: crossed over the 811B at 1KHz 1st order with Zobel and 1.5uF//15 ohm compensation filter.

The lower crossover point seems to be needed to use something close to .47uF//25 ohm compensation recommended on another site.

Ran the woofer full range with just a Zobel, no crossover for a while.

Still a work in progress.

Edits: 07/22/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: compensation circuit...another try - deathtube 667 14:19:04 07/21/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.