Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Found a pair of Royal Device Laura speakers for $60...

As I was passing through Riggins, Idaho last week I stopped in at a garage sale. Inside, there were two pairs of large, handsome looking single driver speakers standing against the wall and they both looked to be in "near-mint" condition. One pair was the massive "Loth X", the other pair was the slightly smaller Royal Device "Laura" Studio w/ "Diana" supertweeter.

The Laura speakers especially caught my eye because of the beautiful wooden cabinets w/ matching supertweeters on top. The furniture grade cabinets and the drivers appeared to be nearly flawless, so I asked how much they were. The guy answered, "$80 per pair.". I offered him $60 for the Lauras. He accepted, and I loaded them into my car.

Later on, I found out just how expensive these speakers were, originally...

As it turned out, across the parking lot from that garage sale is the showroom for Sonist Audio/Snake River Audio. Sonist speakers won an Absolute Sound "Editor's Choice" award a few years back, as some of you might know. Sonist Audio's new owner, Jonny Wilson (a very nice guy who was kind enough to offer me a lengthy demo of the astonishing Sonist Audio Concerto 4 hybrid-ribbon speakers - see my review) basically wanted to get rid of his inventory of single driver speakers that were left behind by the Sonist's original owner. Jonny Wilson had no interest in selling these single driver speakers, I'm told, so off to the garage sale they went.

I guess I am pretty glad that I passed on the badly reviewed "Loth X" speakers, but if anyone here wants them, they are probably still sitting over there in that garage sale in Riggins, Idaho. The guy was asking $80 a pair for them (I believe that they were the "Amaze" model w/ Fostex(?) drivers).

This is my first foray into the world of high-efficiency, single-driver speakers. Has anyone here tried these Italian beauties? If they sound half as good as they look, I will be quite happy indeed!

Edits: 07/07/14 07/07/14 07/07/14 07/07/14 07/07/14 07/07/14 07/08/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Found a pair of Royal Device Laura speakers for $60... - genungo 14:11:22 07/07/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.