Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: After 20 years I have gone back to horns

there is very little info on this model as it was nearly custom and relatively early in the companies history.

However, what I do know is this:
the main driver is a 10 inch paper cone that is backloaded into a folded horn. The tweeter is a compression driver in about a 10 inch wooden horn that is set into the speaker (the mouth of the horn is flush with woofer). System sensitivity is about 98db/watt. Crossover is external and biwireable/biampable. The tweeter has 3 level position adjustments.

Bass is rated to 48 hz but it sounds very robust down to that range. I will use a servo sub to augment the last octave or so of bass.

The system is about 1.4-1.5 meters tall and weighs a substantial 80Kg (176 lbs) per side.

Apparently the system was informally reviewed by Jonathan Scull from Stereophile back in 1998 and 1999 and he was rather blown away by the sound. No formal reviews can be found.

I don't know what the make of the drivers are inside but given the cost of the system when new (around $16,000) they are likely high quality units.

It was the premium 2-way system from Odeon at the time and I think only the Nr. 30 and Nr. 33 were bigger and more expensive.

What I can tell you is that they sound very robust and lifelike, especially male singing voice came through spookily real. I didn't get the impression of them being tipped up but I wouldn't be surprised if the actual FR is not terribly smooth...I haven't seen a horn speaker yet that had really smooth FR response.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: After 20 years I have gone back to horns - morricab 04:54:47 07/07/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.