Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: I have a problem ... i have a question on HE speakers but regarding amps to drive them

There is no solution to your problem in the solid state world except maybe The pass firstwatt stuff.

There is one other possible option from Pass, his older Pass Aleph 3. It is 30 watts Class A and can be had used for under $1000. Also the Forte 4 can be had for a few hundred and is 50 watts Class A.

That being said, bad high efficiency speakers are possibly worse than bad non-high efficiency speakers. What you are going to build is likely to sound BAD. Cheap "pro" drivers just don't sound good just like cheap "hifi" drivers don't sound good. Bad in = bad out guaranteed.

Beyma (a good pro driver maker) makes some nice co-axial drivers (kind of like Tannoy drivers) and even crossovers to go with them. You could buy a couple of those and crossovers for a few hundred bucks and then just build the correct cabinet for them yourself and you will then have a good sounding high efficiency system (at least far better than what you are planning).

Seriously think about it. Also, you are far better off finding a clean Dynaco Stereo 70 than just about anything you can afford from SS. It will sound far better too. If you are serious about this then send me email and I can help you put together something reasonable and close to your budget (what is your budget?).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.