Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: neophyte building help plea!

S.

Posting the actual tweeters and mids you are using would help get you some practical advice, undoubtedly someone here has some experience with them. You don't say how you have chosen the crossover points (presumably from the manufacturers data sheets?) or how you have chosen the center frequency and Q of the Zobels. Guessing at these things will get you a box full of extra parts very rapidly.

Voicing a system solely by ear with one recording can be problematic, as you tend to wind up with a rig that sounds good only with that recording (I've been there, done that). Very well recorded pieces can sometimes sound good on an overly bright rig, while everything else does'nt (AKA the "audiophile screechies). Go over to Stereophile's website and read J. Gordon Holt's article "Space, the Final Frontier" from the March 1994 issue. In it JGH "spilled the beans" when he pointed out that speakers with a tilt towards the bass (for warmth) plus a treble peak (for detail) were getting rave reviews in the magazine, while comparable speakers with more of a flat response were getting luke warm reviews. Take a look at the frequency response graphs of most of the speakers tested in Stereophile and you will see the signature Holt described, or at least half of it. The manufacturers are aware of this, and now you know it too.

As to references, the late Ray Alden's "Advanced Speaker Systems" is hard to beat, it's out of print now but you can usually find used copies through Amazon. Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Cookbook" is also very good, though I have'nt seen the latest editions. You can download Room Eq Wizard (REW) to your Mac for free and with the mic Bill has linked to here, you'll have a very good test rig. Even using the internal mic in a Macbook is better than guessing by ear.

Good Luck! You are following a well worn path.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: neophyte building help plea! - Paul Eizik 09:03:26 07/04/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.