Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

neophyte building help plea!

first off, Happy Independence Day to All!

now down to business - I've been attempting to build this OB with the Eminence Alpha-15A as the base of build, swapping out mids and tweeters to find best combo. I'll put a combo on the board, then using various calculators figure out the Zobels, L-Pads and BSC and use in conjunction with PE 3-way XO 3K/375hz.
What I need help with is understanding why I can adjust, with component changes, for a nice balanced output from all three drivers using, in this example, a Stanley Clarke CD. So much so I sit back and say to myself, Damn, Job well done. I am happy with this iteration. Then I change the disc to say, again in this example, a John Cougar Mellincamp and it sounds like absolute horse shit at almost all volume levels. I then find myself beginning the viscous circle of struggling to correct for the Mellincamp CD to no avail, changing drivers included. Change back to Stanly Clarke CD and make changes to again get the sound back to an enjoyable state. Is this a recording quality issue, speaker issue or the combination of both? It's extremely frustrating and is almost becoming a throwing up the hands in the air and screaming F*CK IT! and go back to cookie-cutter box speakers?
What am I not understanding with this process? Should not a driver/filtering combo that is right at home with a piece of source material be equally at home with a large per cent age of other source material, all the rest of replay chain unchanged? Is this a miss-match of XO points as they relate to the driver combinations?
Can someone provide some links to better understand, in general, driver characteristics in layman terms? Also, study aids for understanding the various graphs associated with driver characteristics? I guess I'm looking for speaker design 100 level. I do not have or use and modeling software or the likes. My ears and soldering iron and my Mac/net are it as far as tools go.
As always, any and all advice welcomed.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to slide across the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting GERONIMO!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - neophyte building help plea! - sober1 08:01:23 07/03/14 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.