Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Dayton PS220-8 Drivers!

Joseph the Dayton PS220-8 stock is as you say, unimpressive. However when treated with a 7-step, proprietary cone treatment it's absolutely amazing! I use Sachiko double-back-loaded horns as see in the photo above ---{my camera has since broken so I cannot take a photo with the PS220-8 drivers installed}--- with the gear shown, albeit a few wire & tube changes.

Previously I tried Fostex FE206E, FE206ES-r and FE208ES-r and not one of them could hold a candle to these PS220-8 drivers. And yes all the Fostex drivers except the very rare, and costly FE208ES-r drivers were treated with the exact same 7-step, proprietary cone treatment. Now I can play chamber music or a small acoustic guitar group and get all the delicacy, clarity and harmonic purity one uses the famous SET/single fullrange driver combo for and on the very next CD drop in YES, EL&P or any other Prog-Rock group and play the music at level where the SPLs will chase you from the room without a hint of distortion!

Now to clarify a little I'll say with a 40W/ch SET amp playing into 95dB drivers into double-back-loaded horns that's quite loud indeed! Case in point I stood in the bathroom of my master bedroom shaving, which is some 56ft+ away. The music was clear as a bell and playing so loudly that when the phone rang, even at 56ft+ away, the person on the other end of the call asked me to please turn the music down because he couldn't hear what I was saying over the music! And that was playing from 56ft+ away! Now granted I don't usually play or listen to music that loudly, but it's nice to know I could if I ever wanted or needed to...

I'm listening to: A Trick of The Tale by Genesis

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.