Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Joseph

I've experimented quite a bit like you, and had lots of fun too! My personal preference is tubes as well, EL84 pentode. I also happen to have the Heath AS10's as well, at least the tweeters mounted to plastic deflector dish panel thingy. The tweeters sound really good with just a single 1.8 cap. I've heard the Dayton PS220-8 and I wasn't impressed.
Just google cone breakup there is lots on it.
I've played with the B&C 12CXT open baffle, and I found that the larger pro drivers have trouble getting past 2khz. That's why I've been using the fostex drivers, the midrange clarity is astounding. The same can be said for the vintage Philips AN7060/M8, which aren't too expensive. The larger pro drivers can have great scale and dynamic range, but requires a low crossover point to the high frequency, which always presents a challenge for selecting the high frequency unit.
I'd say select a 6" or 8" (no crossover) that rolls off nicely and mate it to your HF of choice. Experiment with reversing the phase of the HF. Sometimes that helps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.