Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Getting EV1823's and ST350's in phase..Ping Paul E.

I started tryng to find the sweet spot per:

Paul E. you wrote:
"Once you get everything working, you can try getting the 1823's and ST350's in phase. To do this you can build a sled so you can mount the tweeters on top of the cab, and slide it back and forth. Reversing the tweeter connections from their normal hookup, you can set an oscillator at the XO freq., and slide the sled back or forth to find the point where you get the greatest cancellation at the XO freq. with a mic placed at your listening position. The test tones on the Stereophile Test CD will work for this if you don't have an oscillator, and a reasonable quality mic plugged into something with a VU meter will suffice. When you reconnect the tweeter normally, the mids and tweeters will support each other at the XO freq."

The ST350 is mounted to the ST120 horn front via metal rails. Should I look at mounting the tweeter to the bass bin brace so it is in its "design" location? I could design an adjustable mount that would allow some front to rear movement, but it would be limited by the bass bin brace. If I locate the ST350 inside the top edge of the bass bins will diffraction be a problem?

The ST120's are mounted to be moveable and even more so with out the metal rails for the ST350. Would it be best to mount the the ST350's solidly to the bass bin inside top or brace with the leading frame close to the stock position and then align the phase by sliding the mid horn?

In your experience, how much offset might be required to get the mid and tweeter into phase at 3500Hz? This would help in planning the mount plan.

Paul, thanks again for all of your help and knowledge. The improvements, to date, have been dramatic!!

Cheers,
Geary

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Getting EV1823's and ST350's in phase..Ping Paul E. - Geary Lyons 11:30:01 05/29/14 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.