Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: More ribbons

If I were to place importance on elements of a horn system, the tweeter would be dead last. I'd spend the majority of time getting the upper-bass and midrange right. There's hardly any real music 10k Hz+. It's mostly overtones. Yes. A bad tweeter can make a system sound mechanical and unnatural. Visiting audio shows, it seems that some people actually like a heavy sizzle sound with a hockey stick bump above 8,500 Hz. For me, I don't want to even notice the tweeters. They should blend in. They should make the midrange sound more natural and take over in the break-up. There are a lot of great tweeters out there that achieve this. I happen to have the RAAL Lazy Ribbons (with amorphous cores) in my 5-way horn system. I'm really happy with them and I have little desire to change to something else. My only complaint is that in a multi-way horn system, they take up over 9" of precious vertical space (you can see in the picture that space is tight). Sound-wise they fit my criteria. They have a very natural non-metalic sound. They "complete" the midrange. The output can be configured to match the efficiency of other drivers by dialing in the impedance. Just consider your vertical and your horn placement configuration before going with the RAALs.

Edits: 04/18/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.