Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: High efficiency speaker with great reproduction of speech

I can't disagree with using the human voice as a source when evaluating ANY audio component, whether microphone, compressor, tape recorder, amplifier, phono cartridge, ADC, speaker, etc.

We are quite familiar with the sound of the voice of people we know, and can hear subtle differences in their voice under various circumstances.

We are much less familiar with the sound of the voice of people we don't know. We are able to understand inflections and emotional characteristics, but as to the proper overall "tone" or "timbre" of a specific unfamiliar person's voice, we are, by definition, quite clueless.

This is not to say that we can't detect an "unnaturally" nasal, honky, bassy, present or sibilant quality when presented in an overt manner, but subtle differences from "real" to "not real" will elude us.

And so, the difficulty, as with ANY recorded source, is: What did the original source sound like, before it was picked up by whatever brand/model microphone in whatever acoustic environment, sent to whatever brand/model mic preamp to whatever ... ?

Frankly, and this is not news to professional audio engineers, to say that "this or that" component design sounds "better" or "more realistic" is to ignor the FACT that it simply sounds better or worse with the specific recording and reproduction component chain used to produce it. The best we can do is to say that it sounds "however" WITHIN the reproduction chain in our room, and to our individually hampered or gifted ears.

:)

Edits: 04/07/14 04/07/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.