Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Comments on tapped horn aspect of Synergy horn

Hi
That’s true normally things with loudspeakers are much more forgiving, when you have coherent addition, like with two close coupled subwoofers or within these horns, two equal but opposite signals produce a very deep cancellation null everywhere in the output while with sources spaced more than about 1/3 wl, would continue to radiate independently with lobes and nulls.
The pattern of lobes and nulls (an interference pattern) is very undesirable in commercial sound as these lobes point off in all directions and mostly not where the ears are and this raises the reverberant sound level / reduces intelligibility. In hifi and elsewhere the concern normally only extends as far as having the main lobe pointed forward at crossover.

Yes one can apply fir filters, no problem and unlike a conventional speaker system made of separate sources, each having a unique path length to the ear, what you fix here, is fixed globally, not just in the one spot the correction is based on.
The issue for the market we are in, is that the need is usually for a passive loudspeaker unless you’re going large scale. The cost of running power in addition to the signal is a strong incentive not to go active and I figured that if we could eliminate the normal lobes and nulls that drive the reverberant field, make the response flat enough and also not have the phase shift inherent in all the named crossover types, that this would be a strong tool.
Attached is a link to measurements of an SH-50 in my living room (a cluttered environment with stuff in the immediate proximity of the speaker). This was about a meter away, the same speaker measured at 1V in both cases although months apart and clearly a different gain setting on the mic pre.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkzgnicsyzb9lgp/sh50%20in%20livingroom%20with%20and%20without%20fir.png

In the normal passive case, the phase response has the phase of the lf section at the bottom end and the phase of the compression driver at the top end. In between, spanning both crossovers, there is essentially no “all pass” phase response or separation in time like the named crossovers over the first order produce. It is then the equivalent of a single driver. With the FIR filter approach , I corrected the mag and phase of the same speaker as a full range device which is the second curve. Here (this measurement I saved) the phase has been flattened to one point in time down fairly low and incurred 23ms latency. The lower you go in frequency, the greater the latency as everything has to be delayed back to where the low frequency section resides in time.
I wish we could get into the home hifi market, listening at home has been my personal interest since childhood but the focus at work is elsewhere, the larger synergy horns work and sound so much better than even the biggest most expensive concert arrays that by this summer, without any big advertising etc, we will have loudspeakers powering half of the country’s 100,000+ seat stadiums.
I think if they were pretty and made more like what people expect that they would work in the homes of some, I have not heard many speakers which the R and L sources that actually become inaudible as sources when producing a solid mono phantom (same signal to both speakers) in front of you like these do when tweaked.
Here is my interest, since one can faithfully reproduce the image between the two speakers, what happens when you extend this into a hemisphere of channels that can all do that and microphone that can capture that?. Front two channels of the latest generation here, works best on headphones.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlo7p9koy4f3f15/parade%20section4.wav

There is a nice fellow that makes test equipment that has wanted to sell a kit but so far I have not been able to get the official nod to go ahead. My hope is at some point we can do that.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.