Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Comments on tapped horn aspect of Synergy horn

Hi
What you can’t see is what’s on the back side of the ports.
Because the sound from various sources are added within the horn at less than ¼ wl and add unilaterally, it is much more like adding signals with resistors than a port on a vented box or a separated upper and lower range driver. To make a tapped horn alignment work, the distance the sound travels on the back side is a controlling part of it.

The Unity horn was what I called the first generation of these horns.
At the time, the goal was to get the different ranges close enough together and in the right part of the horn expansion to be appropriate for that frequency range. The reason is that in commercial sound, the lobes and nulls separate sources produces are very harmful so far as preserving voice intelligibility or preserving information within the sound.
The old Hopkins Stryker equation pointed to the minimum number of sources and the greatest directivity and his was my solution.

While the unity horns radiated like a single driver so far as It’s radiation pattern, they still had some of the ‘all-pass” phase shift that normal passive crossovers introduce to the sum. This separated the hf and lf etc in time like normal crossover do.
They Synergy horn has the things I learned about how these work, how the ports work and what was required to largely eliminate the crossover phase shift so that the sources appear to occupy not only the same point in space but time as well, that is to say, acts like a single full range driver with no crossover. That property remains even in the largest Synergy horns too, playing softly, you can walk up stick your head into the horn or on a Caleb which has 108 drivers, walk inside the horn and never hear that there is more than one source floating somewhere in front of you.
Believe it or not, it took a long time to figure out how to make this idea work like they do now, how to make the crossovers do what was needed wasn’t easy then either.
Somebody’s picture of the backside of an SH-50 I found on line;

http://www.avforum.hu/uploads/post-50-1237717453.jpg

Best,
Tom

Edits: 04/05/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.